Primary school catering
School meals serves 96 primary and special schools in Bolton and approximately 15,000 meals per day. 2% of our primary meals are served in the traditional style of “Family Service”, here children dine in small groups and are served by monitors with a set meal.
Other primaries enjoy a cafeteria style service which offers a choice of main courses, vegetables, salads and desserts. 15% of schools also offer a halal meat option.
The menus are designed to be tempting and healthy and offer choice for vegetarians with some special diets available.
Am I eligible for free school meals?
You can get free school meals and school clothing allowance if the school is maintained by the council and you receive one of the following:
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit only with an annual income of less then £16,190
- Pension Credit – Guarantee Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in a council maintained school are eligible to have a free school meal. This is is called a Universal Free School Meal.