What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Head Teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5.00 per pupil each year for the next two years. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
All schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but there is freedom to choose how we do it. At Washacre Primary School, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. In addition, we believe that an innovative and varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all children.
How do we use the funding at Washacre Primary School?
The money will be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability. We will continue to place a high priority on our PE provision and, as such, have invested in additional staffing and resources to further enhance the PE curriculum as well as extra-curricular sports during lunchtime and after schools clubs.
Other uses of the funding:
- To employ a specialist sports coaches to work with staff during PE sessions;
- To provide high-quality training for staff to run after school clubs and coaches to assist in organising school sports events and tournaments;
- Provide a free place to include all children from all cultures and backgrounds to provide places in after-school sports clubs;
- Pay for transport to and from sporting events and activities that cannot be held at our own school;
- To provide PE Kit, Tracksuits and Football kits for tournaments and competitions at home and away;
- To provide extra swimming sessions for KS1 and KS2 children.
So far, the Primary PE and Sports Fund have provided us with:
- A full-time Sports Coach to work alongside our class teachers;
- Lunchtime Sport sessions;
- Free after-school sports clubs for all abilities;
- Basketball, Fencing, Rugby, Gymnastic coaching for our teams;
- A full programme of competition for our most talented children;
- Extending Swim Sessions to include Key Stage One to build water confidence;
- Large Apparatus to support the PE Curriculum and extracurricular clubs throughout the school;
- A range of quality outdoor equipment to apply the skills taught in lessons at Lunchtime and playtimes.
Please click the links below for more information: